Siargao Island DIY Travel Guide – Starting the year right by doing things they’ve always want to do is one of the best feeling anyone could ever feel. It’s something fulfilling that they’re doing the things they love. It’s something rewarding that for the past years of working way through college or work they were able to give themselves a prize. And it’s something optimistic for any individual that they’re starting the year doing things they’ve always wanted to do possibly for the rest of their lives.
And that’s what we totally did last January, we started the year right by following our traveler’s heart which lead us to the surfing capital of the country no other than Siargao. See complete details of our experience below for some quick tips, Siargao Island DIY travel guide and few information in case you’re planning to visit the island.
A Little History of Siargao Island
– Situated about 800 kilometers southeastern part of the country’s capital “Manila”, northwest of Surigao Del Norte facing the Pacific Ocean. Before Siargao had its own movie and became a popular tourist attraction in Philippines, the island was way back an under the radar travel destination. When a two foreigners in 1980 named Steve Jones and Tony Arruza said to came to the island first in search for what they called the “perfect wave.” At that time Siargao hadn’t make a spot in the world map yet until photographer named John Callahan took photos and featured the island in a magazine which spread like a wildfire all over the world. From then Siargao earned a spot by surfing and adventure enthusiast from all over the world. To get to know more about the island check out here: Siargao – Source by Wikipedia.
How To Get To Siargao
– Getting to Siargao Island, has become easier and easier these past few years. As more and more commercial airlines (Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines and SkyJet Airlines) are offering cheap flights and promo deals to Siargao. In our case we book a direct flight from Cebu to Siargao (Sayak Airport) 6 months before our travel date. Travel time from Cebu to Siargao by plane is about 45 minutes.
Note: Vans and Tricycles are just available outside the airport in case your hotel don’t have a free shuttle service to get you to their place. Tricycle fare is 150-200 pesos while van fare starts from 300-350 pesos.
Here are possible ways to get to Siargao Island either by air/sea.
* Fly Direct To Siargao: Via Cebu/Manila
* Fly to Surigao City then take a ferry to Siargao
* Ferry from Surigao City to Siargao
* Fly to Butuan then Bus to Surigao City then Ferry to Siargao
* Ferry from Manila/Cebu to Surigao City then Ferry to Siargao
*Fly to Davao/Cagayan then land trip to Butuan and Surigao
Where To Stay in Siargao
For cheap and reasonable price hotels book here via:
– From backpackers preferred cheap bunk beds and single fan rooms around 500-800 pesos ($10-$15 per day) up to luxury and high end resorts. There will surely be good accommodation for you and your group, of course if you have budget for it. Now if you’re visiting the island of Siargao consider staying in Villa Maya in Brgy, Catangnan, General Luna were we had an awesome 4 days and 3 nights stay. Spacious private and quiet room, overlooking outdoor pool, absolutely fantastic breakfast (their Bacon FTW!) and their friendly staffs are just few things we really commend.
Must Try Food/Restaurants in Siargao
– From affordable karenderias and local food specialties, healthy food choices and world class international cuisines. This island in Southern part of the Philippines might be small in size but it is home to the best restaurants in the country and surely you will never run out of dining options in Siargao. So here are our picks of best restaurants you and your friends may consider to feast on.
* Kermit Surf Resort
* Buddha’s Feast Resort
* Villa Maya
* Arka Hayahay
* Kawayan Siargao
* Patrick’s on Beach
* Mama’s Grill
* Aventino’s Pizza, Pasta, and Vino
* Kitya’s Place and Cashey’s Place
* Cafe’ Loca
* The Pleasure Point Cafe’ and so much more.
Note: Unlike Boracay and other popular island travel destination in the country, there are no popular fast food chains and coffee shops like Jollibee, McDonalds, KFC or Starbucks in Siargao . But if you’re really on a budget and you want to cook and prepare your own food there is General Luna Public Market and Sari-Sari or small convenience store on the island you can just hop on.
Things To Do/Attractions To See in Siargao
– Though obviously surfing and its majestic cloud 9 waves are highlights you anticipate before you decide to hit the island, Siargao has more than what regular people imagine on the island as there are a lot of activities and attractions you could do once you step foot on the surfing capital of the Philippines. So here are fun things we suggest you should try/visit in Siargao.
* Magpupungko Tidal Pool – Entrance Fee 50 Pesos/Per Head
* Taktak Falls
* Tayangban Cave Pool
* Union Beach/ Corregidor Beach / Doot Beach / Alegria Beach
* Santa Monica Pier
* General Luna Cloud 9 Boardwalk – Entrance Fee 50 Pesos/Per Head
* Island Hopping (Guyam Island, Daku Island, Naked Island)
* Bucas Grande Island Tour
* Sugba Lagoon / Del Carmen Mangroves / Picture perfect Palm trees
* Motorbike / Bicycle / Swimming / Surfing / Cliff jumping / Snorkeling & Diving / Paddle Board / Kayak
* Resort Hopping / Nightlife and Chill Session / Stargazing
* Henna Tattoo / Souvenir shops
* Make friends and hang out with locals / Beach Clean ups / Food trip / Boodle fights
Siargao Island DIY Travel Guide: Other Friendly Tips and Important Information
* Local people in Siargao are very hospitable and friendly. So whenever you go motorbiking going to General Luna boardwalk, Magpupungko or anywhere and you’re lost, just politely ask random people and they’ll surely give you directions and other information that you need.
* Do not bring jewelries, expensive accessories when you go surfing or swimming and always be mindful with your belongings. Better safe than sorry.
* ATM machines and remittance centers are available on the island in case you’re running out of cash.
* Though there’s not much establishment in Siargao, signal on the island is pretty decent. So you can just upload your #SiargoaTravelGoals photos/videos in your various social media sites.
* To get around Siargao, renting a motorbike for (350/day) is the cheapest way you can explore and tour the whole island. But if you don’t know how to ride a bike/motorbike, tricycles and habal-habal (motorcycle taxis) can help you get around the island.
* Though Siargao is a year-round travel destination, still the best time to visit Siargao are the months of September to December(typhoon season) where joyous fiestas and waves are much bigger on the island . Also the best time to visit Siargao is when the island hosts surfing competition.
Our 4 Days 3 Nights Itinerary
Day 1: Start of Island Life
06:00 AM – Assembly Time
6:00-6:30 AM – Estimated time travel to Mactan International Airport
6:30-8:30 AM – Breakfast/Snacks/Rest/Check-In/Chill/Ready for Departure
8:30-9:20 AM – Arrived at Sayak Airport (Siargao) / Straight To Hotel (Villa Maya)
9:20-5:00 AM – Change Clothes/ Ready for Sugba Lagoon Tour
05:00-6:30 PM – Back to Hotel (/Rest/Swimming Pool/Head to Cloud 9 Surfing Area/Surfing
time for Sunset
6:30-9:00 PM – Dinner (Kermit Restaurant)/Experience Siargao night life (Free Time)
9:00 Onward – Back to Hotel/Chill/Movie/Night Swimming/Sleep
Day 2: Island Hopping
06:00-7:00 AM – Wake up Time/Breakfast/Prepare for Island Hopping
07:00-02:00 PM – Visit various island (Pansukian, Guyam, Naked, Daku Island, etc.) / Lunch
2:00-6:00 PM – Back To Hotel/ Rest a bit / Surfing (sunset) Optional/Stanby Sea Shore/Food Trip/Siargao
8:00 PM Onward – Back to Hotel/Dinner/Swimming/Movie Marathon/Sleep
Day 3: Magpupungko Tidal Pool Tour / Food Trip and Day 4: Back to Reality
05:00-05:30 AM – Wake up Time/Snacks/ Change Clothes
05:30:05:30 PM – Head to Pilar (Magpupungko Tidal Pool) or Bucas Grande Tour/ Lunch / Chill / Head Back To General Luna / Surfing
05:00-6:00 PM – Back to Hotel/ Head to Cloud 9 Surfing Area/Explore Island of Siargao/Snacks
6:00 PM Onward – Look restaurant for dinner or buy food at market/convenience store/rest
Note: Due to bad weather some of the activities/plans we’ve set are cancelled. Sad life. 🙁
Here’s a Video Summary of our Whole Siargao Island Travel Experience: #ResponsibleTourism #LeaveOnlyFootprints
Note: We cannot guarantee the information written here is correct and accurate all the time. If you want to add information or you spot something that needs correcting, please let us know in the comment section below.
– Last Update: July 25, 2018 –